Saturday, January 15, 2011

Maisie's Playlist

The other night when Austin was humming Maisie to sleep, it got me thinking about all the songs that Austin and I have dedicated to Maisie. We sing all kinds of songs to her daily, and a lot of the times they are made up, but there are a few that belong in Maisie's repertoire and will forever. That when we hear them we will always think of our sweet muffin in different stages of her life. I thought I would share those special songs with you.

When we finally decided that "Maisie" was the name, Austin picked me up from work and he said he wanted me to listen to a song he rediscovered. He said "I know the song says Gracie, but it's easy to put Maisie there instead." and he put on the song . The song is very cute and I recommend you give it a listen, it will melt your heart with the Daddy to daughter cuteness. Heres the lyrics, but of course I'm going to change the lyric to Maisie.

Gracie by Ben Folds
You can't fool me, I saw you when you came out
You got your momma's taste but you got my mouth
And you will always have a part of me
Nobody else is ever going to see
Maisie girl

With your cards to your chest walking on your toes
What you got in the box only Maisie knows
And I would never try to make you be
Anything you didn't really want to be
Maisie girl

Life flies by in seconds
You're not a baby Maisie, you're my friend
You'll be a lady soon but until then
You gotta do what I say

You nodded off in my arms watching TV
I won't move you an inch even thought my arm's asleep

One day you're gonna want to go
I hope we taught you everything you need to know
Maisie girl

And there will always be a part of me
Nobody else is ever gonna see but you and me
My little girl
My Maisie girl


Then when Maisie was born and I was having a hard time with breastfeeding (because of the soreness) and also recovering from the birth that it was hard to relax during feedings. Making Maisie more tense and prohibiting my let down. So I started to play classical songs during every feeding session. Maisie loved it because it was so peaceful and calming as we were bonding, but it also helped me to relax and enjoy every feeding. There are a few songs that will always remind me of her as a little newborn snuggled up skin to skin. So precious. Here they are:

Eward Elgar- Enigma
Schuman-Intermezzo from Momentum Suite
Chopin- Nocturne in B flat minor op 9/1, 9/2 & 9/3

During Maisie's fussy hours there was one song that would always calm her down when I sang it to her. I don't know how I was inspired to start singing it in the first place, but I'm glad I did. It's still a go to when she's in a bad mood or just wants to be comforted. I don't sing it nearly as often as I used to when she was a newborn, but it's still a goody.

Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson
Can't you see that it's just raining
Ain't no need to go outside...
But baby, you hardly even notice
When I try to show you this

Song is meant to keep ya
From doing what you're supposed to
Like waking up too early
Maybe we can sleep in

I'll make you banana pancakes
Pretend like it's the weekend now

And we could pretend it all the time
Can't you see that it's just raining
Ain't no need to go outside

But just maybe, laka ukulele
Mommy made a baby
Really don't mind the breakfast
'cause you're my little lady
Lady lady love me
'cause I love to lay here lazy
We could close the curtains
Pretend like there's no world outside.

The telephone is singing
Ringing it's too early
Don't pick it up
We don't need to we got everything
We need right here
And everything we need is enough

Just so easy
When the whole world fits inside of your arms
Don't really need to pay attention to the alarm
Wake up slow, yeah wake up slow

When I was little I really liked (okay maybe I was a tad bit obsessed) with Raffi. Austin being a Raffi fan too growing up, it only made sense to introduce Maisie to the wonderful goodness that is Raffi. We would sing the songs, but our go to was always Baby Beluga. Then one day while staying in Salem with Austin's family, my sister in law Miranda, and Mother in law Diane volunteered to babysit while Austin and I went out for a mini date. When we got back we came home to a very happy dancing baby. Miranda had discovered that Maisie LOVES the song Banana Phone by Raffi. I guess while we were gone Maisie started to get a little fussy and they put that song on and instantly she was back to her happy self. The song still works too. I can't tell you how many times we have blasted Banana Phone in the car when Maisie is grumpy from a long car ride. Works like a charm.

Then we have our "Night Night" Maisie songs. Austin and I alternate nights putting Maisie down for bed and we have our signature songs we sing/hum while putting her down. Austin's song is Edelweiss. He sings it to her in German of course, but humming it is what does the trick. Austin's low bass voice lulls Maisie faster than I ever could. My song is Let me call you sweetheart by Joni James. When I was little I had a wind up stuffed animal that played it. It's such a sweet comforting song and it reminds me of being cozy in bed, so I had to pass it down to my little Maisie.

There you have it. Maisie's playlist. The songs that in a very special way belong to her and always will.







No comments:

Post a Comment