Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Winchester Mansion Tour

The weekend after Austin's 25th birthday (and our last weekend in California) I planned a little day date to the Winchester Mansion. Austin and I have both wanted to go since the day we moved to Santa Clara and seeing how this would be our last opportunity in who knows how long, we decided to go.

I remember watching documentaries on the Winchester legacy with my dad when I was just a little girl. I was so fascinated with the whole concept of the supposed curse placed on the Winchester family by those killed by the "Gun that won the west".  For some reason though, I thought the house was located east somewhere, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out we lived only 15 miles away.

A friend of ours who has two littles watched Maisie for a few hours while we did the Grand tour of the mansion, grounds and basement. I was disappointed about not being able to take pictures of the inside of the house because it was so interesting. So many odd twists and turns, doors to no where, staircases to the ceiling, posts installed upside down, imported German chandeliers and Tiffany lamps and stained glass windows from New York. It was a lot of fun to see.

Need more info about Sarah Winchester and the famous mansion? Click here. It's very interesting.

Here are some pictures of our little date:

IMG_7290

IMG_7302

IMG_7284

IMG_7281

WM

IMG_7287

IMG_7299

WM2

IMG_7296

IMG_7305

IMG_7274

Oh and on every Friday the 13th they do night flash light tours... How awesome would that be?!

Fun fact:
Sarah Winchester gained 20 million in inheritance money from the loss of her husband and mother, but then with all her shares of the Winchester company (33% I believe), she received $1500 every day for the rest of her life. Todays equivalent would be $22,000 a day. Nuts right!?

2 comments: