Saturday, May 19, 2012

two

On Maisie's actual birthday we met a handful of our friends and their kids in the park for a pizza party, complete with root beer floats and homemade cupcakes (and homemade whipped vanilla buttercream frosting). Everything turned out wonderfully. The food was good and it was awesome letting the kids go crazy while the adults ate and conversed.

Within 5 minutes of getting to the park, Maisie found the first patch of dirt and got her birthday dress beyond filthy. At first I was a little bummed because I didn't even get one picture of her before hand, but she was having so much fun and it is HER birthday right? Plus, I was too busy to stop to take pictures, so it didn't matter anyway. Now that I think about it, the dirt and first skinned knee added a special feeling of two year oldness to the party. She felt like a kid, unlike her first birthday where she was still a baby.

Later that night before bed I cried because those feelings of when I first laid my eyes on my baby girl and held her in my arms two years ago came back so strong. I can remember so much of what it was like, but honestly I don't think I could ever put into words how earth shaking it was. A feeling I never knew possible branded my soul that night and I think celebrating her birth just makes it easier to revisit a part of that incredible feeling. 

Apologies for the lack of pictures, but that means we had fun right?

IMG_5352

IMG_5319
 look at the front of her dress. I wasn't kidding when I said she was filthy.

IMG_5333
yum... dirt and frosting.

IMG_5326

IMG_5347
May I please have another? 

IMG_5336

Maisie is now obsessed with her birthday. She asks every morning "birthday?""birthday song?". Oh and "cupcakes?". Everyday she wants a cupcake (who doesn't right?) oh boy. How does one teach the concept of time to a (just turned) two year old? Sorry Maisie girl... you have to wait 360 more days...

3 comments:

  1. Maisie is so darn cute! You and Austin look wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! The cupcakes were gorgeous and I couldn't help but smile at little Maisie's grubbiness :) That is SO the stage we were in right now, both kids go out to play and come in covered from head to toe! I'm glad you had fun :)
    ps- you looked really cute too mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! And I just love the name Maisie!

    ReplyDelete