Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A blanket for Ellie

The last 2 months of Ellie's pregnancy I started a little quilt that would become Ellie's special blanket. It was such a peaceful time, soaking in the summer- growing a child while appreciating my time with Maisie. I had originally planned on knitting a blanket similar to Maisie's blanket, but unfortunately I hadn't given myself enough time or enough funds (knitting is time consuming and expensive!) so I decided to do a little hand stitched "quilt". It was so cathartic to be outside while Maisie played with the neighborhood kids, while I sat under the shade of the tree and hand stitched for hours. I never thought I would enjoy hand stitching so much, I was in love with the handmade look... and to me it just screams that it was made with love. I worked on it for a few hours every day for a few weeks and finished it up a few days before the 4th of July- just a couple weeks before Ellie was born.

I wanted to document Ellie's blanket just like I had done with Maisie's, but I am still itching to knit Ellie her own blanket (knit blankets are just so cozy!) so maybe I will do a project swap- I'll make Maisie a hand stitched quilt and then start a knit one for Ellie. I love giving my girls homemade things that will last for years. I hope they love them as much as I loved making them.

jHMBN

DSC_1178

DSC_1210

DSC_1183

DSC_1234-1 (dragged)

1 comment: