Wednesday, August 25, 2010

World's Cutest Alarm Clock

Maisie has always been a great sleeper. Starting at about 8 weeks old she got into a pattern of falling asleep at about 10:30pm and then would wake for her first feeding at about 5am. After she got her fill she would proceed to sleep for another couple hours and then it would be time for the both of us to seize the day. I wanted to start transitioning her into her crib at about three months, but she had other plans in mind. I figured it would be pretty simple since she already sleeps through the night and it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to get up once. My friend Tess gave me a video baby monitor that way I could see and hear Maisie if/when she awoke. Austin set it all up, I put her in the crib and she was out like a light. We headed to bed and I starred at my sleeping angel via the video screen until my eyes were to heavy to keep open. 1am rolls around... Maisie is crying. I get up and stumble to her room pick her up and she's rooting around for a meal. I fed her until she fell asleep again and placed her back into her crib. Back to my bed I go. 2:30am... Maisie is crying... again. I picked her up and she is acting starving again. It hits me ohhh yeah she's probably having her 3 month growth spurt. That would happen to us though, the very night we put her in her crib she is waking up every couple hours to eat! After I figured that out I put her back into her bassinet next to my bed and proceeded to wake up every couple hours to fulfill my duties of the 'milk machine'. It's been 2 weeks since her growth spurt and she still hasn't returned to her 10:30am to 5am schedule. Shes been waking up around 2am, 5am and then 8am for feedings. I am trying to enjoy it because even when she was sleeping great I missed our little night feedings. I know that eventually night feedings will come to an end and so for now I cherish her little 'feed me' complaints no matter how often or early they are.

Ah peace of mind... How did people ever survive without these things?!

2 comments:

  1. What a good mama you are Sammie. You are wise to cherish each stage of your precious Maisie's life...especially the ones where you both get a good nights sleep:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you are enjoying the Video monitor. I am still not sleeping through the night with Keenan so i sympathize with you there. But you have a wonderful outlook on the situation thank you for the refreshing perspective.

    ReplyDelete