Friday, August 6, 2010

Maternity jean epiphany

So, last weekend I decided it was time to do some clothes shopping. The past few weeks I have been feeling incredibly frumpy and overall unattractive. I know that clothes are just that, clothes, but hear me out. When nothing fits right and you are still wearing pregnancy jeans when your baby is almost 3 months old it's time to do something about it! Ideally I wouldn't have gone shopping until I lost all my pregnancy weight because I hoped I wouldn't be wearing it that long, but I am stuck! The pounds are just not dropping as I would like. Initially I lost about 18 pounds and from there not one pound more. I walk into my closet and look at all the clothes that I can't wear anymore and then resort to my gap pregnancy jeans and a t-shirt. Most of the time I don't mind it because odds are I would have to change my shirt some time through out the day because of spit-up or some other mess Maisie likes to make on me, but it's time to have a little confidence boost. I remember when I thought I would be a super trendy mom and I laugh now because the truth of it all is sometimes, wait change that, most of the times motherhood is not glamorous. So Austin and I set out to find a pair of attractive and most importantly non maternity jeans. After hours of trying on and with fading hope that I wouldn't find some that fit well enough to buy (I am conveniently in between sizes) I finally did. Maisie even got a pair of leggings out of it. Come on I can't help it!

After beating myself up for weeks for not losing weight as fast as I would like. I finally had an epiphany with the help of my loving husband (he's fantastic at reminding me to look at the big picture). I realized that I am a proud milk producing first time mother and I should be grateful for this time that I have to be "bigger" than normal. My body is not just mine it has been taken over by a rapidly growing 12 week old. I have the rest of my life to be "fit" or "size such and such". As long as I am healthy and able to nurture that's all that matters for now. I don't want to feel frumpy and lounge in sweat pants all day every day, but occasionally why not? So what I didn't have time to straighten or even blow dry my hair I was busy bouncing, consoling, feeding and or changing my precious baby girl.

Maisie's new pink and lace leggings! Too cute to pass up right?




No comments:

Post a Comment