Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The weasel part II: alms for the lame

Last week during our nightly family scripture time Austin read the story to Maisie in the New Testament in the third chapter of the book Acts, about how Peter and John heal the lame man on the temple steps. If you are not familiar with the story it goes essentially like this:

Peter and John were on their way into the temple when a man born lame seeks alms from the two men. Peter then says "look on us" (Acts 3:4) the lame man looked to them thinking he was about to receive the alms he had asked for, but instead Peter said "silver and gold have I none: but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk." (Acts 3:6) and the man stood and began leaping, praising God as he entered into the temple with Peter and John.

Austin explained to Maisie what alms are and that he was asking for money because of his condition. As Austin reiterated the story in layman's terms Maisie carefully listened and then threw herself onto the ground. She held up her hands, squinted her eyes and said "I can't walk! I can't walk! I need money!" Austin after laughing a bit started to play the role of Peter. "I don't have money, but I can offer you something better! Rise up and walk!" Maisie didn't move a muscle and said "no I need money!" Austin tried to explain to her that the lame man wasn't healed with money, but rather with a priesthood blessing said in the name of Jesus Christ. Maisie listened and started over... "I can't walk! I can't walk! I need money!" Austin said Peter's part again, but the child still laid motionless. She then whispered "daddy, just give me some money please." so Austin pretended to toss a coin on the ground in front of Maisie, but of course that wasn't enough, it just HAD to be a real coin. Austin went into the other room grabbed a coin and placed it by Maisie's unmoving body. Maisie quickly snatched up the coin then leaped up and said "I'm healed! I'm healed!" Laughing, Austin put his head into his hands and sighed as that was not the point of the story. I just sat back and giggled and figured we would try again another night. haha she's such a weasel.

No comments:

Post a Comment