Friday, August 19, 2011

15 months

Little Maisie turned 15 months old, 4 days ago.
Gah. It blows my mind. There are still days where I look at her and I think to myself "Goodness, WE have a BABY." but what is stranger is, that baby is 15 months old, and not really a baby anymore. I would call her a toddler, but we all know shes not truly "toddling" yet. Shes a silly one, that Maisie.

I am really enjoying this stage. She is rich with personality and it has totally changed my previous notion about "nature vs. nurture". That child is all who she is by nature. I feel so honored to be the one who helps nurture and guide those traits into qualities that are for one appropriate, but also what will help her develop confidence in who she is now and in the future. 

Some of the many things I adore about my little (15 month old) girl:

maisie
Besides how adorable she is of course!

I love her inquisitive spirit. Her need to explore, but also her joy when shes in our company.

I love her eagerness to try something new or copy something, but also her hesitation to make sure it's "ok" or safe. I was always the hesitant one. My sister was the get up and go without thinking it through one. There have been times that I wished I could have been more like that, but both serve their place. Maisie is a good mix. I like that.

I love her love of books. I used to be a baby clothes junkie, I couldn't go anywhere without b-lining to the baby clothes section. It would always end with me sporting puppy-dog eyes convincing Austin that Maisie would look so darling in this, or that she NEEDED it for something. When Maisie started her book fascination at a young age, I found my new fix. No matter where I go I have an eye out for good books for her. I just recently hit up the closing sale at Borders. Lets just say I had a bag full of books after the spree.
Our night time routine is very funny now, before Maisie would be content reading a book a couple times (it was ALWAYS "the very hungry caterpillar") and then it went to reading two different books before bed, but NOW Maisie will read a couple pages of all her books. She wants to get all of them in before bed. She kisses them all too. It sure is sweet.

I love her determination. She will try so hard to get her socks and/or shoes on by herself. She always ends up getting frustrated and handing them to me so I can help, but I love her furrowed brow and how she musters as much coordination and strength to try over and over to do it by herself. She knows I am there to help, but I am always the last option.

I love her little head nods. She has put together that nodding her head means yes. I love the fact that she learned "yes" before "no". It seems that's not very common. We try our very best to refrain from no. We say careful a lot or just put a positive spin on it (i.e Maisie, we eat our food, not throw it on the floor). We ask her lots of questions and she totally has put together that when we ask a question that she can answer. Even if she doesn't know what we are saying, she knows we are directing a question and she knows that's a mean of communication.

I love how she picks up on little things. She watches us and its evident in all her activities. Shes even mastered the cell-phone-no-handed-shoulder-to-ear-technique. I don't even talk on the phone all that often so its amazing that she even picked that up. She also pretends to brush her hair with random items and also she helps me empty the dish washer too.

I love that she is a daddy's girl. Sometimes I am a little jealous because "what am I chopped liver?! I play with you allll day, feed you on demand, but you still want dada to come home?!" But daily I see them interact with each other and it is breath takingly beautiful. Its such a joy seeing the person your husband turns into when he becomes a daddy. It's amazing to see him through her eyes. I married an awesome man and we made an amazingly beautiful daughter.

I love that she will use all of her signs to get when she wants something badly, or when she is excited.(ALL DONE, FOOD, MORE, MILK, PLEASE, POINT, HEAD NOD) these are jumbled together so fast that if you didn't know her repertoire of signs you would think she was going crazy.

I love that when she cries she talks. It's like she is trying to tell you what she is upset about. It's a nice change up from the typical wailing. Her red tearful eyes and her little voice as she is trying to pout and catch her breath. Oh man, this sounds terrible, but it is seriously so dang cute. She sometimes will point her chubby finger and then talk giberish in an upset tone. 

I love all her little nuances:

For one, she has a sensitive spirit. She is sensitive to the feelings around her, but most of all she is sensitive to music. Maisie and I spend hours a day listening to music. We have since she was a newborn. We listen to an array of classical, alternative and fun dance music. Our current favorite Pandora station is "Phoenix radio". It's upbeat and so fun to dance too. That girl can dance like no other. Anyway, when a slow or heartfelt song comes on (especially if it has strings) she will get upset and cry like her feelings are hurt. The other week we started a new tradition of watching "The many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" after dinner and before she goes to bed. She adores it, but every time the pretty soft strings start playing the theme music, she cries like I just scolded her. Its cute, hilarious and heart breaking all at the same time. She hears it even when its softly playing in the background when there is narration. We now fast forward certain parts because how upset she gets. This girl has music woven into the fiber of her being, but I knew this would be the case from the beginning. I just didn't realize how sensitive she would be to it. Just wait until I play some Eric Whitacre for her. Or when she hears some of Austin's solos in high school. Cue tears.

She hates and I mean HATES my juicer. It's not even that loud, but she cries every time I use it. She loves the juice it produces, so I am trying to teach her it's good and not scary, but no such luck yet. She loves the vacuum, but hates the juicer, go figure.

She dances to any music (that is if its not a slow sad song and she is busy crying some where over it). No joke she danced to the theme song of "what would you do for a Klondike bar?"on a commercial. It was like 8 seconds tops, but that didn't stop her from wiggling and bouncing around.

She is gifted with her feet. She grabs and holds onto things with them all the time. She will even bring it to her hands and mouth. When ever we are in car for a good period of time like to Salem, she will hold her sippy cup with her feet and shake it back and forth while giggling. If we don't see her funny trick right away she will yell "look! look!" Until we laugh and praise her for her silly talent.

footsie
Talented huh? She has been doing things like this since she was like 6 months old.

"Bamboo shooting" is what Austin calls it. Background on this, when Austin and I started dating when we would hold hands Austin would always put his thumb nail gently under one of my finger nails. Like he was pinching my nail. I always thought, it was funny and kind of cute because he always did it unknowingly. Well months ago Maisie started doing it. She would do it when we were holding her, but she ALWAYS does it when I am nursing her. Even when she is half asleep at 2:30 am.  Sometimes she is not as gentle and her little talon nail goes just a little too far for comfort. That is why Austin has dubbed it "bamboo shooting" like the form of torture for prisoners of war. It's funny how little nuances like that get passed down.

Favorite foods:

Pasta with mushrooms, spinach and ricotta with cherry tomato sauce. She LOVES this.
Noahs cinnamon raisin bagels with cream cheese.
Oatmeal with fresh blueberries.
Fruit smoothies.
Cesar salad (mainly the chicken and dressing)
scrambled eggs.
Rice.
Garlic spinach Orzo.
Greek yogurt Popsicles.
Nutella on anything.

nutella
yum yum nutella.

Things we are still/currently working on:

Sweet little Maisie Moo, is STILL not sleeping through the night. She still wakes up two times a night to nurse. It is killing me. We are trying to gradually cut out night nursing, but she melts down and then is impossible to get back to sleep. This is a deadly combo when Austin has to wake up for work at 3:50 am. I have just dealt with it, but it's time for a change. Hopefully within the next month or so she will just stop ( I am hoping that when she is fully walking she will be so worn out that she will just stay asleep). Her day feeds have drastically went down, but those dang night feedings haven't budged. I haven't slept more than 5 hours consecutively in over a year and a half. Gah! Our Dr thinks with Maisie's personality that fully weaning her most likely be the only way to get her sleeping through the night. She is an all or nothing type girl that Maisie.

We are also working on patience. She is quick to get angry or upset. Which some times results in her throwing something, pushing you away and rarely but sometimes hitting. She knows we are here to help and comfort, but she goes about it the wrong way sometimes.

Broadening her taste buds. She is quick to not like something, but if I am persistent and try it a few days later she ends up really enjoying it. I refuse to have a picky eater and after conversations with other moms I have come to the conclusion that: how much of it is that the baby truly hates something and how much of it is that the baby didn't like it once, so the mom stopped trying it and therefore that baby grows up without it and becomes a picky eater? Really I am surprised that even with Maisie's strongest rejections she always did better the next time around.

I am still trying to lose this baby weight, but while still nursing it is a nearly impossible task. I will just be patient, and then go crazy when she is weaned. I mean, I will never get the same moments again as I did nursing her. She only willingly snuggles so for so long before dashing off to play with something, so having that time where we are still physically close and bonding,  to me that's worth carrying around some extra weight even if that weight equals 40 pounds.

3 comments:

  1. She is SO smart!!! We giggle that Westly is our brilliant but slightly uncoordinated one and Briella...well she is definitely not dumb, but is only interested in things that require physical skill. Talking? Bah.

    I have some ideas for some of your baby blues, but really just ideas :) I hated having advice forced down my throat because every child is soooo different!
    We found with both of our kids that the only way to have them sleep through the night was about a week of really tough nights. Paul has always had to be up between 4- and 5 for work, so I know that worry! Could Austin do ear plugs? It's so hard, though. Will she take a bottle of warm water in bed? Or give her some books or toys? that did it for Sis, she just plays until she's out.
    And I'm fighting the weight loss battle right alongside you- no such luck for me with nursing here either. I recently started weight watchers tho, and am REALLY loving it! They have a setting for nursing mommy too, so you wouldn't have to take any risks risk that way. It is so much more healthy than any other diet I've tried, and I'm still loosing weight the weeks I don't work out... because mommy's just don't always have time (or a desire) to spend hours in front of a workout video! It ran around $45 for three months on the plan.
    Good luck with everything! You guys are such good parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can find more about Baby healing jewelry here

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can find more about Baby healing jewelry amber jewelry

    ReplyDelete