Sunday, October 10, 2010

Going Gluten Free

I thought it was going to be a lot more difficult, but thanks to Trader Joe's going gluten free couldn't be going any more smoothly. We started this adventure pretty discouraged realizing groceries are now more expensive and after tasting brown rice bread (yuck!) we thought maybe this task was impossible, but after discovering great tasting (and healthy) food and also finding that so many restaurants accommodate us gluten free people, our attitudes have changed. This started out as something to see if Austin's stomach issues would settle, but I now see this becoming a lifestyle for us. I feel much better about the things I now eat on a daily basis. It makes me so happy to open my cupboards and have tons of tasty healthy meals to prepare. I have to admit I love bread, but having to come up with alternative carbs is fun. There are a couple of items that are making this gluten free transition a little easier. A special thanks to...

Envirokidz Peanut Butter Panda Puffs
Quinoa

Rice Pasta & Cheddar (gluten free mac & cheese)

Maybe I am speaking to soon, seeing how it's only been a week since our switch, but Austin is on board and hopefully this will help his stomach out. Poor guy thought he was lactose intolerant, maybe had IBS or was stressed out, but something is up and we will get to the bottom of this! After reading about Celiac disease it sounds like classic Austin and gluten allergies are the 8th most popular food allergy, so it's definitely worth a shot. I really hope this does the trick, but if not, cheers to healthy eating!

Last night Maisie and I made a delicious gluten free dinner. Heres Maisie helping in the kitchen.

2 comments: